1/06/2012

Interview with Mona Fares - NEON EDGE

Meet Mona Fares: A young talented Designer from Dubai. I first learned about Mona while taking my regular international fashion dose. I have seen the creations of many designers from the Middle East, but have never come across someone whose designs reach beyond the typical Middle Eastern culture. After looking at some of her designs through a couple websites, I figured it would only be right to find out more about this ambitious new Designer. I contacted her to see if I can do my first interview with her for “I AM SCARBOROUGH. I AM TORONTO.”, and within just a couple days Mona was great enough to say yes.
Enjoy..
Can you tell me a little about your background?
I am a motivated and ambitious young woman who has lived in the UAE since the age of two.  I am a mix of two different cultures, my father is Egyptian and my mother is German. I studied in Latifa School for girls in Dubai which consisted of mainly Emarati girls where I learned a lot about the traditions and heritage of this country. 
However experiencing Dubai grow from the desert into a cosmopolitan city within such a short time, gave me the opportunity to be exposed to a multicultural, dynamic and stimulating environment.  I strongly believe that this has had a great impact on the person I am today, the way I think and the designs, which I create. I completed my education in Latifa College in Dubai, graduating with a BA in Art and Design.  I have a solid foundation in both fine arts; (painting, sculpture making, & mixed media) and design fields such as interiors, furniture design, design technology, product design, jewelry design, graphic design and textiles.   I also constantly take fashion courses in Dubai or in London at the London College of FASHION, to keep me updated as well as keep learning and educating myself more in relevance to the fashion industry. 
You have travelled and studied in many Fashion capitals of the world, by far which city stood out to you the most and why?
I was truly fortunate to have had the opportunity travel and study in the design & fashion capitals New York, London, Paris and Milan as well as Barcelona & Florence.  This definitely had an immense impact on my design style and added value towards my understanding of design.  Travelling in general always opens your mind in various ways and for me personally, everything I see in ART, Fashion and Design is like a source of nourishment to my soul and creativity.  It is not only one specific city where I gain this nourishment from since every city has its own spark and energy to it, yet I must say my favorites are NYC, London and Barcelona.
What was the concept behind “Neon Edge” and what were the first steps into launching your line?
My designs are very neon, electric, bold & loud.  NEON EDGE designs are a sure fashion hub for those contemporary fashion-holics who seek to stand out from the crowd.  The designs are targeted to the trend-setters and fashion lovers who are daring enough to wear “over the top & edgy” pieces. 
I was always involved in the ART & Design scene since a very young age and as I went into my teenZ I started becoming more and more interested in fashion and styling my friends etc. 
In the case of my fashion Label NEON EDGE it was not really that I planned it out completely; – it just happened!   Keeping in mind I would always design a few dresses randomly for myself as well as for others and also for college projects.  However the final Push to create my own fashion line came from the encouragement and praise of an established designer “Yousef Bashir Qureshi” who’s fashion course I attended in Dubai in the Summer of 2009! I believe he saw “The Light” in me! And that’s when I got rollinJ !
“Neon Edge” is such a bright, beautiful, and daring label. As a designer are you ever worried that you will run out of ideas and the uniqueness of the line would fade out?
No ! Not at all ! Designers love to create ! that’s what our passion is ! that’s what we live for ! Many times I have my head overflowing with ideas and inspirations that it cant all fit into one collection and therefore has to be set aside into the sketchbook for the next collection! 
Myself being an upcoming artist and designer, I’m always inspired to create. What inspires Mona Fares to create? Who is your favorite Designer and why? 
Inspiration…  I believe that the roots of my motivation lie in the ever-changing landscape and culture of Dubai and the UAE.  Designing is my profession as well as my passion.  I am an artist and designer by heart and soul.  I am inspired by various aspects of life, such as the trends of fashion I see around me as well as contemporary and commercial designs of interiors and architectural structures, which express the spirit of the 21st century.  The works of Karim Rashid and Philippe Starck particularly influences me; I love the fact that they go ahead and break boundaries by using innovative concepts, daring color combinations, weird shapes from fashion all the way to interiors and more.
Is there a Fashion Icon that you look up to?
Not necessarily a specific person however I look up to anyone who dresses daring and adventurously – something new and unusual always catches my attention J
How would you describe your personal style?
I believe that the way I dress says a lot about my personality and is reflected through the vibrant and energetic colors I tend to wear.  I love experimenting with various textures, materials, colors, prints, jewelry, accessories, hair styles, make up and anything i find to create something unique and original.  My style and sense of taste is pretty bold, I love the "shock" factor, trying new things and coming up with daring ideas. Its innovation! I believe the way you dress has a great impact on the way you feel and vice versa.
From my personal experience, Art is a huge aspect of Fashion & Design, how important is Art to you?
My mother studied art and is an artist too, therefore my early childhood games always included drawing, painting and colors, ever since I can remember I created art. I have grown up being a fine artist and then studied various design fields such as furniture, interior, architecture etc in university.  They all are similar in some way ; its all about creating what you envision. 
10 years from now, what do you see yourself doing?
10 years from now I have many dreams to fulfill !  I would love to have my own fashion house and be an internationally recognized designer with NEON EDGE designs in numerous boutiques around the globe.
What advice would you give to young, ambitious teenagers who want become a Fashion Designer but don’t have that support from family and friends?
ONE WORD: “PERSERVERANCE” – follow your dreams until the finish, NO MATTER WHAT! This is a word I live by and became friends with it at the age of thirteen years.
Just do it, but nothing comes easy, nor does success, you just need to work hard and keep at it, until you yourself feels satisfied that you have achieved your own personal goals.





Attached are some pictures from Mona Fares Collection - NEON EDGE


























































Images appearing on this blog are the exclusive property of NEON EDGE© and Mona Fares.